Cardboard-tube sails and Popsicle-stick blades really spin, with the help of a brad.
How to Make a Windmill
What You'll Need
Oatmeal container (painted or covered with colored paper), 2 toilet paper tubes, 1 ? " cardboard circle (cut from the oatmeal container's top), 1 brad, glue, 4 Popsicle sticks, paint, colored paper, scissors
1. To make the blades, cut each paper tube in half, lengthwise; paint and let dry.
2. Draw guidelines and glue a Popsicle stick to the back edge of each blade.
3. Glue the blades to your cardboard circle, allowing room for a brad at the center.
4. Paint the oatmeal container and let it dry. Push a hole through the oatmeal container 1" from the top.
5. Attach blade to the top of the oatmeal container with a brad.
6. Use a utility knife to cut the windows and a door.
7. Make a cone of colored paper for the top of the oatmeal container and tape or glue it on.
Originally published in the October 2013 issue of Parents magazine.